What you’ll need to know

How are the financial benefits calculated?

We use independant PV Sol software which takes in to account roof pitch, orientation, shading, panel performance, panel degredation, inverter performance, local weather data, efficiency of any storage systems (batteries), the amount of electricity you use and when you use it.  Any one of these variables can have a surprising impact on the amount of energy you generate.

The performance of Solar PV systems is impossible to predict with certainty due to the variability in the amount of solar radiation (sunlight) from location to location and from year to year.  Evidence from previous customers installs shows that PV Sol predictions are typically out performed by 10% on average with very few installations not reaching the predicted figure.

Why are there two output prediction figures?

MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme) we have to use, PVSol we choose to use.  MCS: MCS Accreditation requires us to use the MCS System performance calculation, however it fails to take in to account the variables in different products. The MCS shade assessment is also less accurate than PV Sol.  PVSol: MCS also allows us to use professional PV system modelling software, PV Sol, which uses more localised climate data and takes into account inverter and panel performance & degradation. It also uses accurate orientation, inclination and shading values so gives a clearer estimate for annual yield.

Are there any hidden costs?

No, our quotes include costs for scaffolding, supply and installation of panels, inverter, total generation meter, electrical installation certificate, PV test results, registration of the installation with MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme), registration with building control and notification to the local electrical network operator (Western Power).  So everything you need to get up and running with solar is included.

What do I need to do to get my FIT?

Your energy supplier will supply you with your FIT application form which you’ll need to submit to them once your installation is complete. Some of the forms can be confusing so please give us a call and we can help you find the answers.  You’ll need your MCS certificate and final payment receipt as proof of ownership before you can apply for your Feed in Tariff.

Do I need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

To claim the highest Feed In Tariff rate your energy supplier will require an EPC for your property rated D or above dated prior to the commissioning date of your Solar PV installation. We can put you in touch with an energy assessor and they normally charge £60 for  domestic EPCs, Commercial EPCs can be quoted for and it’s worth shopping around.  We’re happy to recommend some good EPC assessors.

How long is the quote valid for?

Our quotes are valid for 60 days from the date it was sent to you.

Do I need to get planning permission?

Planning is only needed if the installation is ground mounted, on a listed building or in a conservation area. If you are unsure about your need for planning permission please call your local planning department or let us know and we’ll be able to advise further on your specific situation.

Where do the cables & inverter go?

Cables will need to be fed from the PV Panels to the inverter and from the inverter to your consumer unit (fuseboard). Cable routes may be suggested during your site survey however, the final cable route and the inverter location will need to be agreed with the installation team leader as there may be hidden obstacles which prevent the routing of cables.

What impact will Trenching have?

With diggers as well as the soil and rocks that will be removed, then it’s impossible to avoid some temporary damage to a lawn.  It’s also difficult to know how long trenching will take as there can always be unforeseen obstacles.  Trenching is always quoted as a rate for a digger & driver for the day and an estimate given for how many days it is expected to take.  This may lead to increases or decreases to your final price, depending on how the driver with the digger gets on.

Can I use the excess electric to heat my water?

If you have an immersion heater you can buy an immersion optimiser which will divert any electric you’re not using to your immersion. These can be supplied and fitted by our electricians for £460. Just let us know if you’d like one.

How do I know how much of my Solar PV electric I’m using?

There are a variety of monitors available. Please speak to your site surveyor or call the office and we’ll be able to advise on the latest devices available.

I’m ready to go ahead!

Give us a call or drop us an email and we’ll ask for a £250 deposit to book your installation slot. We then ask for 60% minus the £250 deposit to be in our account 5 working days prior to the installation, this is used to order your parts. Both the deposit and advance are kept in a segregated bank account and are covered by Renewable Energy Consumer Code insurance. After the installation is complete we ask for the final 40%.

How long does installation take?

Most domestic installations can be completed in one day.  We’ll let you know if we expect yours to take longer.  Our weekly domestic schedule has installations on Monday – Thursday and we always keep Friday free to catch up with anything that was left over from the week.  Therefore you may need to allow us access on the Friday too.

Commercial installation duration varies greatly and we’ll liaise with you to ensure you know what’s going to happen and to ensure we minimise disruption to your business.

Is that it?

Well yes, sort of, we like to keep in touch so you’ll receive an email one month after your install to check that you’re happy and to collect a reading so we can double check that it’s all working OK.  We’ll also email you every year to collect an annual reading as this will highlight any issues more accurately.  Of course we’re always available on email or on the phone if you have any questions about our favourite subject, Solar PV and storage.

Complaints Policy

We always endeavour to provide the best service and products for our customers. However, on rare occasions, we recognise that there may be times where our customers may not be completely satisfied.  To ensure we are able to put things rights as soon as we can, please read our complaints procedure below and we will respond promptly to ensure complete satisfaction.  As soon as possible after the completion of the works, please inspect the work to ensure everything has been carried out to our usual high standards.  In the unlikely event there is anything you are not completely satisfied with, please contact us as soon as you can in order that we can rectify any problems as soon as possible.  Either call us on 01637 697 009, or write to at Naked Solar Ltd, Seabase Units, Treloggan Ind Est, Newquay, Cornwall TR7 2SX, or email us at

We aim to respond within 1 working day of receiving your complaint and where possible, will provide you with a date to remedy any issues raised.

Where we are unable to resolve your complaint using our own complaints procedure, as a Which? Trusted trader we use Ombudsman Services Ltd for dispute resolution. In the unlikely event that we cannot remedy your complaint to your satisfaction you may wish to refer your complaint to them. If you wish to do so please contact Which? Trusted traders in the first instance on 0117 981 2929.

NICEIC Platinum Promise

Should you still be dissatisfied you may also approach NICEIC inline with their Platinum Promise, the details of which can be found here.