What is the Smart Export Guarantee?
The Smart Export Guarantee, the new Feed In Tariff.
The Solar industry has transformed from subsidised under Feed in Tariff to marketised with the new Smart Export Guarantee.
Smart Export Guarantee requires Electrical Energy Suppliers to pay Solar PV owners for their exported electric so here’s the 6 facts you need to know.
- You can shop around to get the best rate for your exported energy.
- Smart Tariffs are available which pay different rates at different times of day.
- Most Tariffs will simply pay a flat rate per kWh no matter what time of day the export happens.
- Systems claiming FIT are not eligible unless they give up their export payments.
- Your energy supplier will need to install a smart meter if you don’t already have one.
- Make sure your Solar PV system is installed by an MCS accredited installer.
Each energy supplier will have their own terms and conditions as to who can apply for the SEG with them, some will require them to be your main energy supplier, all will need proof that your solar install has been undertaken by an MCS qualified installer (which Naked Solar are).
*Pence per kilo Watt hour (kWh) on the table above is correct on 11th September 2020. Please read all the contract information before choosing who to export your solar energy to.
Thanks to our friends at the Solar Trade Association. You can find out more here: https://www.solar-trade.org.uk/resource-centre/advice-tips-for-households/smart-export-guarantee/